So remember how a week or two ago, I got a brief asking me and a group of my classmates to make a 1:1 scale model of a pushchair? We finished it today, after hard work and determination when certain parts decided not to stay stuck on. I think my group worked really well as a team, with us automatically sharing the workload and helping each other solve problems when constructing the more complex parts of the buggy. We didn’t really set out with much of a plan, other than to work from the wheels up to the frame and finishing by putting all the parts together once they were made. Over the three weeks we made really good progress, pretty much constructing most of the elements last week ready to spend this week putting the components together.
When constructing the separate parts, we didn’t really run into many difficulties. We faced the real problems when trying to put the parts together. Some parts weren’t as sturdy as others, especially the front wheel, which kept buckling under the weight of the rest of the pram. We had to come up with several solutions to affix the wheel in such a way that it could support the structure of the buggy. In the end, we had to use a lot of masking tape to keep the wheel in place, as none of our other solutions worked. If we had remade the wheel and took into consideration how it would be connected to the adjoining part then this would have saved us a lot of time in the assembly of the pushchair. Most other parts fit together pretty well, however there wasn’t the greatest consistency in how the parts were made as we split them between us all in the group. In the end, our final model was actually pretty accurate, in comparison to the actual pushchair.
It is not a perfect model of the pushchair but the most important elements of the design are there. The frame was pretty strong, but if I were to change anything, I think I would redesign the wheels and the connecting joins to make them strong and sturdy enough to hold the weight of the rest of the model more effectively. I learned a lot in modelling terms, I’ve never used cardboard in this way before, and learning to work with a new material proved difficult at times. Eventually I got the hang of it though, and the quality of the components I was constructing improved dramatically as I got used to working with the cardboard.